Wednesday 24 October 2012

Happy Saraswati Puja!


It was straight back to teaching on Monday after our trip to Mamallapuram, but Tuesday was a government holiday to celebrate the 9th day of the festival Navaratri, which gives thanks to the Goddess of Learning Saraswati. There is a statue of her outside Seleaya (above) which the children from the orphanage elaborately decorated. There was more delicious holy food, divine smelling incense, beautiful flowers and lots of excited children!


These are my new friends Ammu aged 16 (right) Dashini aged 3 (left she is in my preschool class) and Mina aged 5 (left of Dashini). Dashini runs up to me most mornings with a huge smile on her face and hugs my knees. Love her so much too :)


On the right this brother and sister are doing me their very best rabbit impression :) In my preschool class we do rabbit races - they love it!
On the left these two (i am struggling with the names a little) are showing us the traditional pose of Saraswati.





Later that afternoon I bought some Henna to the girls hostel, there was an expert older girl (Raj) who did Mendie for some of the children, Rose (above) and I (Underneath). The design on my hand is based on a peacock or "Mial" in Tamil.

And finally another group photo outside the Saraswati celebrations.
In my arms is Mina, this was the first time we'd met :)



2 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having an amazing time Lily! I want to go to the place with the boulder! Still so proud of you! And quite jealous of all your new tiny friends, they're so much cooler than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want you to come to the place with the boulder too! Nobody is cooler than you! though these guys come pretty close, when i get back we can do rabbit races together :)

    ReplyDelete